Monday, February 9, 2009

Seeking to understand ....dreams 3

I truly believe God does give us dreams to prepare us, warn us and show us our propensity for sin. I have had many over the years that prepared me to show courage in tough situations, that left me in awe of the nature of God and also that showed me a depth of sin I could easily fall into.
Numbers 12:6 "Listen to my words: "When a prophet of the LORD is among you, I reveal myself to him in visions, I speak to him in dreams....

Job 33:14-18
For God does speak—now one way, now another—though man may not perceive it.
In a dream, in a vision of the night,when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds, he may speak in their ears and terrify them with warnings, to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride,to preserve his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.

I also know that Dreams can terrify and then I have to ask, who is it that would want me afraid? If a warning in a whisper can get the same results why the drama of terror. Would the Good Shepherd and Prince of Peace lead me to walk by quiet waters in peace or over hot coals? The answer may lie in what does it take to get my attention?
Was it our brain making sense of random pieces of information " As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words".Ecclesiastes 5:2-4
Or was it YHWH speaking to correct and inform us as in the Job verses;
Did the dream prompt us to have a sense of Awe of the almighty and to love God or his word more deeply?

Next time you have a dream, think!
T was the dream in keeping with biblical truth?
H was the dream helpful, giving clarity to an issue?
I did the overall message inspire you to read a passage of scripture?
N was it a necessary means of communication, without it you would have no context for an preparation for a future life event?
K overall who emerged as "King" in the situation/drama?

Remember Proverbs 25:2"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings". Some things in life are worth the trouble to consider and take to heart.

No comments: