Monday, April 13, 2009

Confessions of Faith 1

Peter and Martha made the same Confession of Faith "You are the Christ of God".Luke 9:20 & Jn 11:27.In Peters confession,Jesus asks Peter "Who do you say I am?" and Jesus uses his answer to tell his disciples about his death and says "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?"
8 days later we are told of the transfiguration of Jesus with Elijah and Moses with the onlooker disciples Peter, James and John.

Jn 11:25- 27 With Martha, Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ,[b] the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

Jesus told the disciples of his impending death with Peter and shows them the resurrection with rising Lazarus from the dead.

Two questions to remember:
"Who do you say that I am?"
"Do you believe this?"
What is our confession of faith today?

Side Note: Being dead for four days was significant for the Jewish people. They believed that the dead persons spirit remains until the third day. So Lazarus needed to stay dead for four days for superstition sake, so that they could believe in a resurrection! I wonder how many times God uses our superstitious beliefs to help us get onto the road of faith?

No comments: