Friday, January 9, 2009

Two prophets preconceptions.

Within the week I have come across two prophets who had less than best view of the people they were called to preach to or the people the lived among.

Abraham
Gen 20 v 11Abraham, deceived Abimelech by saying that Sarah was his sister, because he felt that "there is surely no fear of God in this place"
Yet God/YHWH met with Abimelech to prevent calaminity coming to his family bcause of Abraham's deception.

Jonah
Jonah 4:1Jonah, felt that the people of Nineveh were beyond redemption or should be, as he was very angry when they repented of their evil and wicked ways. At best Jonah shows himself as Jonah the grumpy! because they believed YHWH.
Yet, it was the pagans who prayed, greatly feared God, made sacrifices and vows to God when Jonah tried to flee to Tarshish.

YHWH's heart towards his creation is seen in the last verse V11. "Ninevah has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who don't know their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city"?

I wonder what preconceptions I have as I consider my neighbour today? Do I believe that they wouldn't be interested to talk about YHWH or get to know him better.

Remember we "be livin what we belive in'

No comments: